From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Monday, July 11, 2011

Ann Brashares: Sisterhood Everlasting

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series by Ann Brashares is one of my favorite series of all time. I love the characters. I care about them like they're my friends. And, while I was sad the series came to an end in 2007, I felt content. The girls were okay. Everything was going to be fine.

I was surprised when I heard about the publication of Sisterhood Everlasting, but excitedly scooped it up. I couldn't wait to reunite with my friends!

It's ten years later. The traveling pants are long gone.

The girls are all grown up and discovering who they are and what they want. Carmen is a very successful actress in New York. And she's engaged! Lena teaches art in Rhode Island and still misses Kostos. Bridget lives in San Francisco with her boyfriend Eric, but still feels as unsettled as ever. Tibby lives in Australia with her boyfriend Brian.

The sisterhood isn't as strong as it once was.

The distance is more than just geographical, it's emotional. Tibby wants to bridge the distance and sends plane tickets to her friends, inviting them to reunite in Greece. The girls are excited for the trip and looking forward to rekindling their friendship. Instead, they're met with a tragedy that will forever change their lives. And the sisterhood.

Sisterhood Everlasting is a story fraught with heartbreak,  grief, and loss. I spent the entire book in shock. There were times I wanted to stop reading. There were times I wanted to throw the book in a nearby creek. But I somehow found a way to struggle through.

While all the important elements from the previous novels were still there--love, friendship, and finding your place in this world--there was a gaping hole in the sisterhood (and my heat).

I credit Ann Brashares for creating such lovable, irreplaceable characters and stirring up so many emotions. Clearly, she's a great writer. But I can't help by wonder why this story had to be told and why it had to end this way?

It was an emotional roller-coaster ride that I still haven't fully recovered from. I'm deeply ensconced in the anger phase of the grieving process. I will never accept this ending.

I wish I could un-read this book.

For more information on Ann Brashares, vist:
@AnnBrashares
annbrashares.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...