From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Five: Still Waiting

As most of my readers know, I rely on the library for 90% of what's reviewed here. I lost my job over two years ago. Buying books is a luxury observed only when I'm in the possession of gifts cards for Birthdays and at Christmastime. When I lived in western Massachusetts, I was spoiled with libraries all around me. If my library didn't carry a book, I could request it from other libraries. That can't happen where I live now. I ask the library to order books. I make suggestions. So far, I haven't been heard. That's why today's Friday Five is devoted to books that I really, really wish my library would carry because not being able to read them is driving me insane! They've been on my "to read" list far too long.

I've been wanting to read Rampant by Diana Peterfreund since I first heard about it. Killer unicorns? Seriously. I need to get my hands on this book.

Synopsis:

Forget everything you ever knew about unicorns . . .


Astrid Llewelyn has always scoffed at her eccentric mother's stories about killer unicorns. But when one attacks her boyfriend—ruining any chance of him taking her to prom—Astrid finds herself headed to Rome to train as a unicorn hunter at the ancient Cloisters the hunters have used for centuries. However, all is not what it seems at the Cloisters. Outside, unicorns wait to attack. And within, Astrid faces other, unexpected threats: from bone-covered walls that vibrate with terrible power to the hidden agendas of her fellow hunters to her growing attraction to a handsome art student . . . an attraction that could jeopardize everything.


I read Tweets from fab author Stephanie Kuehnert raving about Shade by Jeri Smith-Ready and knew right away that I wanted to read it. Stephanie is never wrong in her book recommendations. I joined Jeri's Street Team and repeatedly inundate my library with bookmarks and swag. No luck yet. But I hope I'm wearing them down.

Synopsis:

Best. Birthday. Ever. At least, it was supposed to be. With Logan’s band playing a crucial gig and Aura’s plans for an intimate after-party, Aura knows it will be the most memorable night of her boyfriend’s life. She never thought it would be his last.

Logan’s sudden death leaves Aura devastated. He’s gone.

Well, sort of.

Like everyone born after the Shift, Aura can see and talk to ghosts. This mysterious ability had always been annoying, and Aura had wanted nothing more than to figure out why the Shift happened so she can undo it. But not with Logan’s violet-hued spirit still hanging around. Because Dead Logan is almost as real as ever. Almost.

It doesn’t help that Aura’s new friend Zachary is so understanding — and so very alive. His support means more to Aura than she cares to admit.

As Aura’s relationship with the dead and the living grow ever complicated, so do her feelings for Logan and Zachary. Each holds a piece of Aura’s heart . . . and clues to the secret of the Shift. 

I was such a big fan of Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist that, of course, I want to read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan.

Synopsis:

“I’ve left some clues for you.
If you want them, turn the page.
If you don’t, put the book back on the shelf, please.”


So begins the latest whirlwind romance from the New York Times bestselling authors of Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. Lily has left a red notebook full of challenges on a favorite bookstore shelf, waiting for just the right guy to come along and accept its dares. But is Dash that right guy? Or are Dash and Lily only destined to trade dares, dreams, and desires in the notebook they pass back and forth at locations across New York? Could their in-person selves possibly connect as well as their notebook versions? Or will they be a comic mismatch of disastrous proportions?


Rachel Cohn and David Levithan have written a love story that will have readers perusing bookstore shelves, looking and longing for a love (and a red notebook) of their own. 

I first heard about The Secret Year by Jennifer Hubbard on Live Journal. I remember giving out bookmarks to promote its publication. It sounds so interesting.

Synopsis:

Colt and Julia were secretly together for a year, and no one ever knew, not even Julia's boyfriend. Why would they-they were from two different crowds. Julia lived in her country club world and Colt . . . didn't. Then Julia dies in a car accident. Colt is devastated but can't mourn openly, and he's tormented that he may have played a part in her death. And when Julia's journal ends up in his hands, he is forced to relive their year together-just when he is trying to forget. The problem is, how do you get over someone who was never really yours to begin with?

I stumbled upon Lisa Schroeder's blog sometime around the publication date of Chasing Brooklyn. I was immediately ingrigued.

Synopsis

Restless souls and empty hearts


Brooklyn can't sleep. Her boyfriend, Lucca, died only a year ago, and now her friend Gabe has just died of an overdose. Every time she closes her eyes, Gabe's ghost is there waiting for her. She has no idea what he wants or why it isn't Lucca visiting her dreams.


Nico can't stop. He's always running, trying to escape the pain of losing his brother, Lucca. But when Lucca's ghost begins leaving messages, telling Nico to help Brooklyn, emotions come crashing to the surface.


As the nightmares escalate and the messages become relentless, Nico reaches out to Brooklyn. But neither of them can admit that they're being haunted. Until they learn to let each other in, not one soul will be able to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...