From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Thursday, March 31, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday

When I was a kid, my parents and I would pack up the car and take long road trips. That's how we spent our summers. And no matter what our destination, I always packed a bag of essentials to keep me entertained as the world flew by the car windows. The bag always contained snacks, books, games (sometimes card games, sometimes hand-held electronic games), music, puzzle books, and, when I was really small, coloring books and crayons.

Last night, I took a similar bag with me to the hospital. As I sat in the CCU waiting room hoping to hear good news about my dad's heart procedure, I tried to entertain myself in so many ways, but the only thing that really helped was reading. When I need an escape, a good book has always transported me to another place. I was so grateful for books as I feverishly read page after page of Delirium by Lauren Oliver. (Later that night, I was super grateful for doctors.)

I'm sure it was because of what was happening all around me--watching my mom pace nervously, seeing patients wheeled by, overhearing conversations about heart procedures, watching people cry and worry--but these were the quotes I marked and decided to share for this week's edition of Thoughtful Thursday.

"Stupid, stupid--to be so careless with our time, to believe we had so much of it left."

"You have to go forward: It's the only way. You have to go forward no matter what happens. This is the universal law."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...