From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Friday, March 4, 2011

John Green: Looking For Alaska

People have been telling me for years that I need to read John Green, so, during a recent trip to my local library, I decided to check out Looking For Alaska. And I'm so glad I did!

Miles is sixteen years old, sort of friendless, and kind of a geek (he's obsessed with biographies and famous last words). He decides to reinvent himself and explore "a great perhaps" by leaving home and attending a boarding school in Alabama.

It doesn't take long for Miles to form friendships with a captivating group of pranksters who spend just as much time partying and having sex as they do studying. He's especially intrigued by Alaska, a self-destructive girl with a troubled past.

With chapter titles that count down the days "before", I felt unbearable tension. I knew something was going to happen. I got the feeling it was going to be tragic. And I greedily and rapidly read page after page until I knew.

Wow.

Looking For Alaska was a powerful story about friendship, love, loss, and sadness.

Was this really John Green's first novel? It's so smart and well-written that it felt like it should have been his tenth or twentieth. It's now my mission to devour every book he's ever written.


For more information on John Green, visit:
@realjohngreen
johngreenbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...