In honor of the forthcoming publication of the second book in Ally Carter's Heist Society series, Uncommon Criminals (June 21), today's Friday Five is devoted to Ally and five things that make her fab!
1. Ally's books have been published in more than twenty countries and have appeared on best-seller lists from the New York Times, USA Today, the Wall Street Journal, Barnes and Noble, IndieBound, and Bookscan. Not too shabby for someone who has never taken a writing class.
2. Girl power! In both the Gallagher Girls and Heist Society series, she has created real girls who are easy to relate to (because, just like us, they like boys and fashion) and the type of girls we should strive to be (well-educated, loyal, and not just smart, but geniuses). Not only that, they kick butt!
3. It's easy to write smart characters when you're smart, too! Ally was co-valedictorian of her high school senior class. Plus, she has degrees from both Oklahoma State University and Cornell University. Go, Ally!
4. She wrote screenplays in college. In fact, she uses screenwriting techniques, like storyboarding, to map out her novels. I'd love to see the storyboard for Uncommon Criminals.
5. There's going to be a 5th book in the Gallagher Girls series! Ally said on her blog that "it is probably the most complex GG book yet." Sounds exciting!
Ally loves to offer mini excerpts of upcoming novels and glimpses into her writing life to her readers at Twitter and on her official website blog, so I recommend visiting her at: