From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Wednesday, September 1, 2010

August Book List

The Deathday Letter by Shaun Hutchinson - In Ollie's world, you're notified of your death 24 hours ahead of time via a deathday letter. So, when he receives his, he's a ball of emotions. The book follows his journey through the final 24 hours of his life--what he does, whom he does it with, his thoughts, his emotions, and his dreams. The story was intense, captivating, and sometimes humorous. But it also broke my heart. Shaun Hutchinson is a very perceptive writer, and I was absolutely floored by this debut.

The Carrie Diaries by Candace Bushnell - I'm a huge fan of "Sex And The City." Love, love, love it! I think Carrie Bradshaw (and Sarah Jessica Parker) is fab. So I loved the idea of reading about what she was like in high school. It was interesting to read about her home life, her friends and boyfriends, as well as what made her decide to become a writer. The book stayed true to Carrie's personality and fashion sense. And I couldn't help but picture Sarah Jessica Parker circa "Girls Just Want To Have Fun" as I read. The ending put the biggest smile on my face. I loved it.

Talking To Girls About Duran Duran by Rob Sheffield - I'm not a fan of Rolling Stone magazine, but I always pick it up and look for Rob Sheffield's bylines. I find his writing entertaining, funny, and so very real. I don't buy books often, but if I have extra money I try to pick up those by my favorite authors. Ever since I read Love Is A Mix Tape back in 2007, Rob Sheffield has been on that list. In this memoir, he shares coming of age stories--most about trying to understand girls--using music and pop culture references as the backdrop. It was such a great read. I especially loved the chapter about cassingles.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...