From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Friday, July 9, 2010

Stephenie Meyer: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner

My Mom likes vampire books, so I picked up Twilight as a gift for her not long after it was published. Back then, Robert Pattinson was just Cedric Diggory, Kristen Stewart had blown my mind in her brilliant portrayal of Melinda Sordino in the movie adaptation of Laurie Halse Anderson's novel Speak, and Taylor Lautner was Sharkboy. It was simply Twilight, not The Twilight Saga. Mom read without the prejudice of the Hollywood over-hype machine and liked it. So, as each book in the series was published, I bought them for her. One weekend I was bored and decided to give the series a try. I liked the first two books. Everything after was over-the-top tragically awful. Still, I was curious about The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer--mostly because I had absolutely no memory of Bree Tanner in Eclipse.



Synopsis:
Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes, and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirst for blood...life before she became a vampire.

All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has a few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself, and above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they know only as her. As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?


If you like the Twilight books, you'll like this.

I, however, did not.

What bothered me most was the lack of chapters. There wasn't a single break in the entire story.

More bothersome? Even after reading the book, I still had no memory of Bree Tanner. But I did love Jane and the Volturi. They're so evil, you know, live vampires are supposed to be.

I'll give Stephenie Meyer credit for creating such a vivid backstory for such a minor character, but it just wasn't my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...