From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Thursday, March 25, 2010

James Patterson: I, Alex Cross

I'm a huge James Patterson fan, but it's impossible to keep up with all the books he cranks out every year. Our library charges a daily rental fee for his books, so I usually have to wait until I find them at used book sales. The Alex Cross series is my favorite. Luckily, it's my Mom's too! She bought the latest--and sixteenth--book in the series, I, Alex Cross, giving me the chance to read it.

Synopsis:
Alex Cross's niece is found brutally murdered. Overcome with grief, Alex vows to take down her killer before he strikes again. But shortly after he begins the investigation, Alex discovers that his niece had gotten mixed up with some very important, very dangerous people. And she's not the only one who has disappeared.

The hunt for the murderer leads Alex and his girlfriend, Detective Brianna Stone, to Washington's most infamous club--a place where every fantasy is possible, if you have the credentials to get in. The killer could be one of their patrons, one of Washington's elite who will do anything to keep their secrets buried.

With astonishing plot twists and electrifying revelations that will keep readers on the edge of their seat, I, Alex Cross is James Patterson's most suspenseful Alex Cross novel yet.


This is a typical James Patterson novel, which is definitely NOT a bad thing. I enjoyed the rapid-fire pace of the story and how he kept the action moving with short chapters.

And there sure was A LOT of action. Some parts were gross. I mean, really nauseatingly gross. I had to close my eyes and shake off the gruesome murder scenes more than once. In addition, as the story revolved around a sex club, some chapters contained explicit sex. It was essential to the plot and not just there for shock value--though some of it was admittedly shocking to read. With each murder and act of depravity, I really wanted Alex to track down the corrupt perverts and punish them big time.

Another thing I like about the series is the presence of family, which balances the story out and adds an extra layer to Alex Cross. This book was no exception, with a touching subplot revolving around Alex's Nana. It was a dose of humanity in the midst of a very inhumane murder case.

I enjoyed this book, devouring it during one sitting. And the cliffhanger ending left me wanting more.


For more information, visit James Patterson at:
jamespatterson.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...