From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Susane Colasanti: Something Like Fate

I was so excited to receive an advance reader's copy of Something Like Fate by Susane Colasanti (May 4 / Penguin)! Usually I have to wait months for my local library to get her books.

Synopsis:
What if your soul mate is. . .your best friend’s boyfriend?

Lani and Erin are bonded for life. One thing that connects them is their fascination of fate. Lani wonders how much of our lives has already been decided and how much we can actually influence. Since the Unknown can unexpectedly change our lives forever, how much can we really control?

From the minute Lani meets Jason, she can't deny the intense connection they share. It feels like she's known him forever. She's not sure if he feels it, too. But it doesn't matter. Because Jason is Erin's boyfriend. Lani is determined to ignore her feelings for Jason, no matter how powerful they are, rather than risk hurting her best friend.

What if the person who is your destiny is the one person you can't have?


I have very high expectations when it comes to Susane Colasanti books. She's one of my favorite YA authors because she creates real, easy to relate to characters that could easily be me or any of my high school friends. There's a familiarity in her storytelling that's comforting.

Something Like Fate had all of those elements, but it was also a departure from previous novels in the fact that it featured a main character who incensed me. I found Lani to be flighty with her obsession with fate and horoscopes. She was also a lousy friend to both Erin and Blake. I'm of the opinion that your best friend's boyfriend is off limits, that you should never share another friend's secret (not even with your boyfriend), and that you need to take responsibility for your own life and not chalk your actions up to the fates.

Erin was a bit one-dimensional, but a lot of people are. I understood her wrath, but felt her reaction was a bit over the top. I hope that her mean girl behavior and cyberbully actions will open up a dialogue about how to handle this type of behavior and let young girls know that it's not the right way to solve problems.

In the absence of strong female characters, I fell in love with Blake. He provided a genuine, comical, and real tone to the story. I'd love to read an entire book devoted to his personal and family struggles.

The ending was a bit abrupt, but I'm glad I didn't give up on the book. I hated a fictional character and got really worked up over what was happening, which I realized was not the result of a bad book but the work of a good writer. As always, I look forward to reading what Susane Colasanti comes up with next.


For more information, visit Susane Colasanti at:
@susanecolasanti
susanecolasanti.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...