From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Thursday, November 12, 2009

Suzanne Collins: Catching Fire

After finally getting the chance to read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins in August, I put my name on the library waiting list for its sequel Catching Fire. When I received an email last week letting me know the book was ready for me to pick up, I raced out the front door. Once back at home, I began devouring the book.

There is absolutely no way to review this book without giving away the ending to The Hunger Games, so I have placed the review behind the cut. You have been warned.

**** WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS ****


In The Hunger Games Katniss Everdeen and fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark defied all odds--and the Capital--to be the last two standing and, for the first time ever, dual winners in the yearly televised fight-to-the-death tournament.

Now they're home and living the spoils of victory: a nice house, plenty of food, and the comfort of knowing their families are well cared for. Katniss is happy to be home with her family and friends, especially Gale. However, trying to reconnect with him--while keeping up the pretense that she is in love with Peeta--is proving to be very difficult.

Unfortunately, time at home is short lived and Katniss and Peeta have to pack up and go on a Victory Tour where they'll visit each of the districts in Panem. While on the tour, they learn their victory has made them the poster children for rebellion. Worse, there is talk of unrest and an uprising in several of the Districts. President Snow is not happy and warns Katniss that her loved ones may be in danger unless she follows the rules and does everything she can to keep from adding fuel to the fire.

As if Katniss doesn't have enough on her mind, Panem begins to prepare for the 75th Hunger Games, where something out of the ordinary is planned. The Capital wants revenge, and these Games promise to be more bloody and heartbreaking than the rest.

I'm usually not a fan of sequels. They rarely live up to the hype. Catching Fire far exceeded my expectations. I didn't want to stop reading, but I had to. There were times when I'd just have to sit the book aside, think about what I had just read, and say, "Oh my God! No way!" The Hunger Games, with its violence and senseless deaths at the hand of a greedy, controlling government, was hard to read. Catching Fire was ten times harder to read because, by now, I had grown to love and care very deeply about these characters.

Suzanne Collins, once again, crafted an intriguing world filled with smart, sinister, fascinating characters. I cannot wait to see what happens next!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...