From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Friday, September 25, 2009

Lauren Conrad: L.A. Candy

Confession time: I love "The Hills"! So, of course, I put my name on the library's waiting list for L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad.

Best friends Jane and Scarlett just moved to L.A.

Scarlett is a student at USC.

Jane has decided to put off college and is working an internship for celebrity event planner Fiona Chen.

Wanting to break free from their everyday lives, they visit a few L.A. clubs and are approached by a producer who invites them to audition for "L.A. Candy," a "reality version of Sex and the City."

They jump at the chance and find themselves living like celebrities--a brand new apartment (courtesy of PopTV), free designer clothes, access to L.A. hot spots, invitations to premieres, and encounters with big-name celebrities.

But Jane, the show's breakout star, soon learns that instant fame isn't all its cracked up to be.

As a fan of "The Hills," I enjoyed the behind-the-scenes glimpse at the making of a reality TV show--spontaneous things just don't happen (if, by chance, they do, they're filmed over and over again), situations (and people) are set up, and what you see on TV isn't always what happened (thanks to a little creative editing). In short, there isn't a lot of reality in reality television.

The story itself? It fell flat. I might have enjoyed it more if I didn't watch every season of "The Hills" and read about Conrad and her friends in US Weekly. But, because I did, I knew what was going to happen.

The climactic ending didn't even surprise me. Still, the cliffhanger made me want to know what happens next. I guess that's the point of guilty pleasures--they lack substance and aren't earth shattering or original but leave us wanting more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...