From that time on, the world was hers for the reading....


Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Justine Larbalestier: Liar

I was excited to win Liar by Justine Larbalestier (September 29/Bloomsbury USA) from Book Divas! The book is getting a lot of buzz, and I was intrigued.

The story opens with Micah telling the reader that she's a compulsive liar. She's lied to everyone--her teachers, her classmates, and her parents.

But she's trying to stop.

The shock of her boyfriend Zach's gruesome murder has made her want to tell her story--the true story.

Divided into brief sections--Before, After (the murder), School History, Family History, History of Me--Micah weaves a tale that, quite frankly, you won't believe.

In all fairness, she did warn you.

I found Micah to be a psychologically disturbing character, which made her story interesting and a definite page-turner. But, at the end, I felt unsettled. There wasn't a resolution. I like resolutions or, at least, hope of a resolution. Still, I can't stop thinking about it and wondering if I should read it again. Maybe I missed a clue or something.

Honestly, I'm still not sure how I feel about this story. And maybe that was Micah's plan all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...